Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Freelance Hell

The only thing worse than being a freelance reporter is looking for a job as a reporter. There are many frustrations inherent in freelance work, but the worst is sinking time into finding publications to pitch stories to. You have to read them front to cover to find out if the story is appropriate for the publication. Then you have to tailor the pitch letter, which might get read next month if you're lucky, to the publication and hope for the best. I have some great stories that are important but damned if I can get anyone's attention. Or, more accurately, there are few outfits that pay in the United States that are looking for hard hitting political or investigative pieces. It's really sad. I'm searching for foreign outlets - another time suck. Meanwhile, I'm not making a dime.
That's why I decided to find a job. At least I can work my way up to a magazine or newspaper that will pay me to do the stories I want to do. Another time vacuum. I found a place in Washington, D.C., that might work out, which means I have to live apart from my family. Then, all of a sudden, a local paper calls me that I wrote freelance for in the past. So I scurry into action writing cover letters and putting clips together and driving 60 miles RT to drop off. The likelihood of the job coming through is slim but it means staying local. So, I do what I have to so that I'll have some chance. Now I have two distinct beats to study and more acronyms in the alphabet soup game to dicipher.
I became a journalist because I really believe that reporters are one of democracy's institutions. I want to do the kind of reporting that justifies that position, in fact I AM doing that kind of work. So, folks, don't blame the reporters. There are many on fire with passion and integrity - probably most of them in fact.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home